1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I love natural fibers. I especially love Creatively Dyed yarns and fiber, Tess’s Designer Yarns, Brooks Farms and Fat Cat Knits fibers (etsy). I really don’t care for acrylic or novelty yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have needles cases for all of my needles.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned to knit when I was a young teen, but stopped when I realized it wasn’t cool. When my husband was deployed to Iraq I rediscovered knitting and now I can’t seem to stop…whether it’s cool or not! I consider myself to be intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I do have an amazon wishlist, but I wouldn’t consider that my knitting wish list. I have some things on my Etsy favorites – username is jmsmartrd
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love Amazing Grace by Philosophy for bath products and as far as candles…Yankee – anything crisp and clean smelling….Sage and Citrus, Island Spa, Sundried Linen? Cotton? you get the picture.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I do have a sweet tooth….but I try to refrain…
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I knit, I spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all kinds of music. My go to is normally country, I don’t really like the rap stuff, but every now and then it has it’s time and place. My computer can play MP3s.
9. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand? I love earthy colors like brown, blue and green. I like the rich, deep colors more than pastels. I don’t care for pink, orange or yellow, but I don’t dislike these colors….pink with brown for example…I like.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband of 5 years (anniversary is on December 3rd!) and 5 year old Cocker Spaniel Mix named Max!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? All of the above.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Small, fast, and instant gratification seems to work best for me. I love to knit scarves.
13. What are you knitting right now? I am knitting the Eastlake Cardigan and plan to start the Girasole throw.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? It depends….most often yes. But I love receiving yarn/fiber that is handspun or local to an area.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? It depends on the project/yarn, but I seem to prefer wood/bamboo. I do have some addi and some bryspun that I use also. I really enjoy the harmony wood by knit picks. I have the circular set and those are my go to needles. I don’t have the larger points for my circulars and I could use more of the smaller cables 24″ and under.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, I have both.
17. How did you learn to knit? My mom and grandmother taught me when I was a teenager.
18. How old is your oldest UFO? Hmmm…over one year old. I started the Clementine Shawlette in July 2008 and I still haven’t finished.
19. What is your favorite holiday? I really love Thanksgiving through Christmas. I celebrate the Christmas holiday.
20. Is there anything that you collect? Yarn, fiber and more yarn and fiber. I also like turtles and frogs.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Alden Amos’s – Big Book of Handspinning is on my wish list.
22. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Fair Isle and some of the more advanced plying techniques for spinning.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I can knit socks, but I’m not a fast knitter. I wear a 7.5 US with an instep diameter of 9 inches.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 06/16 – Gemini
25. I am on Ravelry as SmartChick.